Happy National Taco Day! Did you know that the word “taco” is fairly new? This epic and versatile favorite popped up out of the mines of Mexico back in the 19th century. The first known taco was called “taco de minero” which translates to ‘miner’s tacos.’ Today, tacos can go infinite ways from rice and beans all the way to quinoa and cashew butter. If you’re just beginning your plant-based journey the #LiveVeganSmart way, then don’t be afraid to spice it up and turn up the flavor with this yummy Quinoa Taco recipe.
Quinoa Taco Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup of quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 diced red or green bell pepper
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 2 chili peppers, seeded and minced
- 3/4 cup of tomato puree
- 2 teaspoons of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 12 taco shells or corn tortillas
*This recipe makes about 6 tacos.
Quinoa Taco Instructions:
- Combine the quinoa with the 1 1/2 cups of water in a small sauce pan.
- Bring the quinoa mixture to a boil, then cover the saucepan and let it simmer for about 15 minutes or until the water is completely absorbed.
- While the quinoa mixture is simmering, heat the oil in a large skillet and saute the onion over medium heat until translucent.
- Add the diced bell pepper, garlic, and the Chile pepper into the large skillet and saute until all are golden. This will take about 5 minutes.
- When the quinoa is ready, add it to the large skillet. Also add the tomato puree, chili powder, and cumin. Stir the mixture together until everything is well blended.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and transfer to a serving dish.
- Serve with garnishes such as shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, olives, salsa, tomatillo sauce, or any others that come to mind.